- 1/2 cup dry mustard
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine or dry vermouth
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Mix mustard, vinegar, and wine in a porcelain or stainless steel bowl.
- Cover and soak overnight.
- Beat eggs with sugar and salt until very light and foamy. Add mustard mixture, and cook in a double boiler (or in a stainless bowl over a pot of simmering water) until thick, approximately 1 hour, whisking occasionally.
- Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
For a more complex flavor, use 1/4 cup of white wine and 1/4 cup vermouth instead of one or the other.