We paired these tomatoes with fresh mozzarella cheese for a delicious topping for pizza. They can also be served on their own or used instead of canned tomatoes in soups and pasta sauces.
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Martha Stewart Living, October 2002
- 12 plum tomatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise, and place cut side up in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Place a few thyme leaves on top of each half, and drizzle lightly with oil.
- Roast until tomatoes have started to shrivel and caramelize, about 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven; let cool until ready to use, up to 5 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.