This recipe is adapted from the February 2006 issue of Martha Stewart Living.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2006
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 4 ounces aged Emmental cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/3 cups medium-bodied white wine, such as Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups), for serving
- Assorted vegetables, cut into pieces, for serving
- Toss cheeses in a medium bowl with flour, cayenne pepper, and white pepper to coat, and set aside. Heat wine in a fondue pot over medium-low heat until it starts to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese mixture, a little at a time. Stir in kirsch. Continue to cook, stirring, until cheese has melted, up to 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. The mixture should be smooth and almost bubbling. Transfer pot to its stand set over a burner. Serve immediately with bread and vegetables.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.