This colorful salad, inspired by chef Wolfgang Puck's signature recipe, is made with seasonal fruits and vegetables and Stilton, a sharp English cheese. Hachiya persimmons are large, sweet, and acorn shaped; look for soft, ripe fruits from October through February.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 3 pomegranates, seeded, about 3 cups
- 3 persimmons, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped prunes (about 30 pitted prunes)
- 9 clementines, peeled, sectioned and finely chopped
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large bulbs fennel, finely chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 heads radicchio, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pinches sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Place each variety of chopped fruit and vegetables in a separate bowl. In a small bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, orange juice, salt, pepper, and pinch of sugar to combine. Divide dressing between pomegranates, prunes, clementines, and apples. Toss dressing with each fruit, keeping separate.
- In another small bowl, whisk sherry vinegar, canola oil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, pinch sugar, and the Stilton to combine. Divide dressing between fennel, celery and radicchio. Toss dressing with each vegetable, keeping separate.
- Spread a bed of dressed fennel on a large platter. Add additional layers, alternating ingredients as you wish, and gradually build up the salad in a vertical mound. Sprinkle with additional pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and crumbled Stilton, if desired. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.