- 5 pounds chicken bones
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped leeks, rinsed well
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Place the chicken bones in a large bowl; add 16 cups water to cover. Stir in salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain bones and rinse; transfer to a large pot and add 16 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; skim off foam as it rises to top.
- Reduce heat to medium and add carrots, onions, leeks, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaf; simmer for 3 hours.
- Strain stock into a large container; discard solids.
Stock may be used immediately, or cooled completely and kept refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.