Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melt
A classic sandwich -- savory ham and cheese -- gets a lift with the addition of sweet, crunchy Fuji apple slices.
Martha Stewart Kids, Fall
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound ham, thinly sliced
- 1 medium Fuji apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread half the bread slices with mustard. Layer with cheddar, ham, apple, and more cheddar, dividing evenly. Top with remaining bread slices. Lightly butter both sides of sandwiches.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook sandwiches, turning once, until bread is golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer sandwiches to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in oven until cheddar is melted, about 5 minutes. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal, and serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.