Leeks with Mustard Vinaigrette
Martha Stewart Living, May
- 6 leeks (about 2 1/2 pounds), roots and all but 1 inch of green tops trimmed, halved lengthwise and washed well
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. With kitchen twine, tie leeks into two bundles, with green tops at the same ends. Add bundles to boiling water. Reduce heat, and simmer until leeks are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove leeks; rinse under cold water. Drain well, and gently pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Make vinaigrette: In a large bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, garlic, and basil. Slowly whisk in oil in a fine stream. Add salt and pepper.
- Gently toss leeks in the bowl with vinaigrette, coating well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.