Eva Longoria's homemade corn tortillas from her "Eva's Kitchen" cookbook are as simple as they are satisfying. Try making them for her Chili-Rubbed Skirt Steak Tacos.
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2011
Yield Makes about 16 tortillas
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups hot water, plus more as needed
- Place masa harina, salt, and hot water in a large bowl; using a spoon or your hands, mix together until a soft, but not sticky, dough forms, about 2 minutes. Squeeze a small handful of dough together; if mixture seems too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Roll dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place dough balls on a baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth to keep moist while you work.
- Line a tortilla press with plastic wrap and set press next to stove. Preheat a comal, skillet, or griddle over medium-high heat until hot.
- Working with 1 ball of dough at a time, place dough on tortilla press between pieces of plastic wrap; press and flatten dough into a 5- to 6-inch disk. Open press and peel off plastic wrap. Transfer disk to comal and cook until bottom is browned in spots, about 1 minute. Turn and continue cooking until tortilla puffs in the center, about 1 minute more.
- Transfer tortilla to a cloth-lined basket to keep warm and repeat process with remaining dough, stacking and keeping covered as you work. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.