Ham and Cheese Strata
This hearty make-ahead breakfast is infused with Dijon mustard and bakes up to a fluffy, golden finish.
Mad Hungry, April 2011
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf bread, Pullman or sandwich style, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound boiled or baked deli ham, chopped
- 5 scallions, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- Butter a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, paprika, and salt.
- Place half of the bread in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with half each of the ham, scallions, and cheese. Repeat with a second layer of the remaining ham, scallions, and cheese, pressing down as necessary to fit in the baking pan.
- Carefully pour the egg mixture over into the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pull strata out of fridge and let come to room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake the strata, uncovered, until puffed and lightly golden brown, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.