This applesauce is prepared with spices to produce a flavor that resembles the inside of an apple pie.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1/4 cup brandy or cider
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 3 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a 12-by-14-inch roasting pan, or an 11-by-17-inch baking pan, combine the brandy, cinnamon, cloves, lemon juice and zest, brown sugar, and butter. Add all the apples, and toss.
- Roast until the apples are very soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer apples to the bowl of a food processor; pulse until smooth. Stir in the salt, and serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.