Savory Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
Smoked mushrooms are the heart of this rich, custardlike stuffing dish, adapted from chef Emeril Lagasse's "From Emeril's Kitchen" cookbook. For a complete holiday meal, serve with his Turkey Breast with Roasted Garlic and Fresh Herbs and Roasted Carrots with Fresh Thyme.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- Smoked Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup lager beer
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Gouda cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 pound stale white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fine dried breadcrumbs
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and have given off any liquid, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beer to deglaze pan and cook, stirring, until mixture is almost dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined. Add onion-mushroom mixture and cheeses; stir to combine. Add bread cubes and let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; add bread crumbs, shaking baking dish to coat. Pour egg mixture into baking dish and cover with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil. Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until pudding rises, is firm in the center and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.