- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes, turnips, parsnip, and garlic in a medium saucepan; add enough half-and-half to cover. Place over medium high heat and cook until vegetables are easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- Return vegetables to saucepan and add egg, butter, and 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth, adding more cooking liquid as necessary. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper and serve immediately.
Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, or anyone whose health is compromised.