Apple-Maple French Toast
Soft caramelized apples are a heavenly topping for a thick slice of fluffy French toast.
Mad Hungry, April 2011
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- 6 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and a pinch of ground cinnamon in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add the bread in a single layer, turning until all the egg is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter, and add apples, stirring to coat until starting to caramelize. Add the water, cooking until water has evaporated and apples are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the maple syrup and a dash of ground cinnamon; simmer for a minute to combine.
- In a large, heated nonstick skillet, melt about 1 tablespoon butter and saute the soaked bread until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes. Place French toast on a plate and top with apple-maple mixture, plus more butter if you'd like!
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.