Hashbrown Egg Topper
To create perfect, runny eggs all you need is a little steam. Simply add a sprinkle of water to the eggs just after you crack them into the pan; this helps them set quickly while still maintaining a runny yolk.
Mad Hungry, April 2011
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more if needed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 thin slices bacon, sliced (optional)
- 4 baked potatoes (cooked skin-on), cubed
- 5 to 6 large eggs
- Heat a 12-inch pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons butter to melt. Add onions and bacon, if using, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until bacon is cooked through. Add potatoes and let sit to brown, a couple of minutes. Add a little more butter if needed.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and flip potatoes once browned on one side. Cook for 2 more minutes to brown the other side.
- Make 5 to 6 holes in mixture. Add a dot of butter and crack an egg into each hole. Sprinkle in some water to create steam. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, until eggs are set.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.