Fresh cilantro and spicy jalapeno peppers give this fluffy rice its south-of-the-border flavor. For a tasty Tex-Mex meal, serve with Seared-Steak Fajitas.
The Martha Stewart Show, October 2010
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro, leaves and thin stems only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno; cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 3/4 cups water and salt; bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a low simmer. Cover and let cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cilantro, lime juice, and scallions in a small bowl; stir until well combined. When rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, transfer cilantro mixture to skillet with rice; stir to combine. Top with tomatoes and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.