Fresh Muesli with Apple and Almonds
Toasting the oats and almonds before soaking them gives this muesli a nuttier flavor. Be sure to buy old-fashioned oats, not quick-cooking -- the latter aren't as flavorful and chewy.
Read more about healthy breakfast basics.
Body+Soul, May 2008
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Serves 2
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned roasted oats
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat (1 percent) Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 1/2 diced apple
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place oats and almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until almonds are golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes; let cool to room temperature. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of toasted oat mixture, yogurt, and milk. Cover and refrigerate until oats are soft, 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Spoon muesli into two bowls. Top with apple and remaining toasted oat mixture; drizzle with honey.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.