Like the original, our julep features bourbon infused with mint. But this drink's signature sweetness is tempered by the tartness of blackberries, which also tint it a gorgeous shade of purple. Another twist: Our cocktail is blended with -- rather than served over -- ice, creating a slushy texture.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 pint blackberries
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 4 cups small ice cubes
- 4 sprigs mint, for garnishing
- Roughly chop mint leaves.
- Puree the mint, blackberries, and sugar in a blender. Press through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard seeds.
- Rinse blender, then return puree to blender, and add bourbon and small ice cubes; blend until smooth. Divide mixture among 4 glasses. Garnish each with a mint sprig.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.