- 12 ounces good-quality tuna, packed in oil, drained
- 2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, such as McIntosh or Gala, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise, preferably Ojai Cook's Lemonaise Light
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices best-quality sourdough
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, celery, apple, mayonnaise, basil, and lemon juice; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a work surface, divide tuna salad among 4 slices bread; top with remaining 4 slices bread. Serve.
To make Susie Essman's favorite tuna salad sandwich, as seen on "The Martha Stewart Show," add Dijon mustard and mustard powder to the mixture.