Matt Lewis's Lemon Curd
This delicious recipe is courtesy of Matt Lewis.
Yield Makes enough for eight 4-inch tarts
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 5 lemons)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 7 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place lemon juice and zest in a small bowl to soften zest, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a nonreactive heatproof bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until well combined. Add lemon juice and zest and continue whisking until just combined.
- Set bowl over (but not touching) simmering water. Continuously stir mixture with a heatproof spatula until mixture has thickened to a pudding-like texture, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Cover lemon curd with a sheet of plastic wrap, pressing plastic wrap onto the surface of the lemon curd to prevent a skin from forming.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.