Martha Stewart Living, May 1999
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemon- or gray-sole fillets (5 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons capers
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl. Put flour on a dinner plate or other flat dish. In a medium-size skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place fillets into milk. Remove one; dredge both sides in flour. Tap off excess flour, and place fish into the hot oil. Season each side with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper. Repeat with the remaining fillet. Cook fish until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Wipe pan, and return to medium heat. Add butter; cook until melted and starting to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in capers; cook until butter is golden brown. Remove from heat. Squeeze lemon juice over fish. Top with hot butter and capers. Garnish with parsley.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.