French pistou sauce is like a nut-free version of Italian pesto. This Southern take comes from chef Sean Brock, and it's served with his Crispy Soft-Shell Crab.
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2011
Yield Makes enough for 4 servings
- 8 ounces fresh pea shoots
- 1/2 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 1/4 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium vegetable stock
- Pinch of xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath and set aside. Add pea shoots to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain and transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Drain and pat dry, removing any excess water.
- Very finely chop pea shoots and transfer to the jar of a blender, along with garlic, vegetable stock, and xanthan gum; blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.