Slow-Roasted Heritage Turkey with Orange and Sage
Heritage turkeys have more dark meat and a gamier, richer flavor than broad-breasted factory birds; try one this holiday with a slow-roasted recipe from Canlis chef Jason Franey. For a complete meal, pair with his Sausage and Sage Un-Stuffing and Cranberry-Orange Jam.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 1 (14-pound) turkey, such as Wishard Bronze
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 navel oranges, washed
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 3 cups (6 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- One day before roasting turkey, salt cavity. Prick oranges all over with the tines of a fork and stuff inside turkey cavity along with sage. Using a 3-foot-long piece of kitchen twine, loop in half over the neck and pull under the back, crossing twine. Pull twine between legs and breasts and flip bird over; tie drumsticks together tightly. Place turkey on a rimmed baking sheet, breast side up, and refrigerate uncovered overnight.
- Heat butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat until melted and bubbling. Skim foam from top and let butter continue to cook until the milk solids sink to the bottom and begin to brown and become fragrant, about 30 minutes. Set a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee liner over a metal container and strain butter into container. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. Reheat browned butter before using.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Fit a roasting pan with a rack and transfer turkey to rack; season with salt and pepper. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Brush turkey with some of the browned butter and transfer to oven. Roast, rotating every hour and brushing with browned butter, for 2 hours.
- Using an instant-read thermometer, check temperature of turkey by inserting into the largest part of the thigh. Continue cooking turkey until it reaches 140 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more. Remove turkey from oven and let stand 30 minutes; increase oven temperature to 475 degrees.
- Drain fat from roasting pan and clean rack. Place turkey on clean rack and return to oven. Cook, turning frequently, until skin is browned and crispy, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.