Toast this sweet bread and serve it with homemade pineapple jam.
From the book "Lucinda's Authentic Jamaican Kitchen," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Wiley).
Martha Stewart Living, April 2006
- Yield Makes 1 loaf or 8 slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated dried coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and mix. Add the milk and coconut and mix until well combined. Put in a small greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until the bread is springy to touch. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.
For a more concentrated flavor, use coconut milk instead of regular milk.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.