These make-ahead custards are infused with vanilla bean and nutmeg for a simple, delicious dessert.
Mad Hungry, April 2011
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split & seeds scraped
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a kettle of water on the stove to boil.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat bring cream, milk, vanilla bean seeds and pod, and salt to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes to infuse the flavors and strain into a measuring cup.
- In a medium bowl, whisk yolks and sugar until fully incorporated. Slowly pour the cream mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return custard to the liquid measuring cup.
- Place six 4 or 6-ounce ramekins inside a roasting pan and divide the custard evenly among them. Carefully pour the boiling water into the roasting pan, halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Transfer to the oven and bake 25-30 minutes, just until the custards are set.
- Remove ramekins from the oven and transfer to the fridge to chill completely, at least two hours and up to overnight.
- Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg over custards just before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.