Martha Stewart Living, February 2003
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat groats (also known as kasha)
- 3 cups <u>Homemade Beef Stock</u>, or low-sodium canned beef stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large straight-sided skillet with a lid, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly beat egg in a medium bowl. Add groats, and stir until well coated. Add groats to skillet, and increase the heat to high. Cook until the egg has dried on the groats and the kernels are separated, about 2 minutes. Add stock, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, until tender and all of the liquid has absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.