Pate Sucree for Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Pate sucree creates a delicious and sturdy crust for our Rhubarb Meringue Pie.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2010
Yield Makes enough for two 9-inch pies
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Lightly beat together yolks and water until combined.
- Pulse flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining, about 10 seconds. Drizzle yolk mixture over dough mixture. Pulse until mixture just begins to hold together (no longer than 30 seconds).
- Divide dough in half, and wrap in plastic wrap. Shape dough into disks. Refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes or overnight.
Dough can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.