Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Known as nuoc cham, this Vietnamese table sauce is used to season almost every dish.
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1996
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground chile paste
- 1 Thai bird chile, or Serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots, for garnish
- With a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, chile paste, and fresh chile into a paste (or mince together with a knife). Transfer to a bowl. Add fish sauce, 2/3 cup hot water, lime juice, and sugar. Whisk together until sugar dissolves. Serve sprinkled with carrots.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.