This curd can be prepared several days in advance and stored in the refrigerator; use any extra as a spread for your morning toast.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- 3 large egg yolks, strained
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Set over medium heat, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan. Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, one piece at a time, stirring with the wooden spoon until consistency is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming; wrap tightly. Let cool; refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.
Store refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.