Mascarpone Semifreddo with Cherry-Port Sauce
This mascarpone semifreddo (a soft, half-frozen Italian dessert) looks like homemade ice cream but involves much less work.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 4
For the Cherry-Port Sauce:
- 1 cup ruby port
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dried cherries (4 1/2 ounces)
For the Semifreddo:
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 store-bought chocolate wafer cookies
- Make the cherry-port sauce: Bring port and granulated sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil until reduced by one third, about 5 minutes. Stir in cherries. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, until plump, about 10 minutes. Refrigerate until thick, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the semifreddo: Whisk mascarpone, cream, confectioners' sugar, and a pinch of salt until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold in chocolate. Spread mixture into a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan; cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until edges begin
to harden and semifreddo is very cold, at least 50 minutes. Scoop into 4 serving dishes. Spoon cherry-port sauce over tops. Serve with chocolate wafer cookies.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.