Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1/2 recipe <u>Pate Brisee for an Almond Tart</u>
- 1 1/2 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or Kirsch
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 1/8-inch-thick rectangle, about 16 inches long and 6 inches wide. Fit into a 4 1/2-by-14-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim pastry using scissors or a sharp paring knife. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Prick the bottom of pastry all over with a fork. Line the pastry with parchment paper; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until pastry begins to color around the edges 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and weights, and continue to bake just until the pastry dries out and turns a light golden color. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place prepared tart shell on baking sheet; set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine the almonds, cream, sugar, salt, Grand Marnier, and almond extract over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in the zest. Pour into prepared tart shell. Bake until filling is set and caramel colored, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before removing from the pan. Do not allow the caramelized sugar to harden completely, or it will be difficult to remove.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.