Pumpkin Layer Cake
Two tiers of pumpkin cake are layered with a cream cheese frosting that gets an added tang from goat cheese.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2010
- Yield Makes one 8-inch layer cake
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans and parchment
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for parchment
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups solid-pack pumpkin (from one 14 1/2-ounce can)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Goat Cheese Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/284926/goat-cheese-frosting)
- Quince-Ginger Compote (http://www.marthastewart.com/284932/quince-ginger-compote)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush two 8-inch round cake pans with butter; line with circles of parchment, and brush with butter. Dust with flour, tapping out excess. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in pumpkin; add vanilla and ginger. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, and beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down side of bowl as needed. Divide batter between pans.
- Bake cakes until golden brown, pulling away from sides of pans, and until a toothpick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pans set on wire racks for 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks. Let cool.
- Evenly spread half the goat cheese frosting on top of 1 cake. Top with the second cake, and frost top with the remaining frosting. Top cake with some quince-ginger compote, and serve remainder on the side.
Make Ahead: Unfrosted cakes can be stored, wrapped in plastic, at room temperature for up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.