Photography: Luca Trovato
Martha Stewart Living, February 2001
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound good-quality white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Red or other food coloring (optional)
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until just combined. Do not whip. Add vanilla; mix. Add flour mixture; mix on low until dough starts to come together. Transfer to a floured board; knead into a ball. Wrap in plastic; chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out heart shapes using a 3-inch heart cookie cutter. Place hearts on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- While cookies bake, melt chocolate in a small bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Add shortening; whisk until smooth. Dip cooled shortbread into chocolate to coat surface evenly, or brush on with pastry brush; let set. Color remaining chocolate mixture, and pipe onto cookies as desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.