Roasted Red Peppers With Anchovies and Olive Oil
You can serve these simple roasted pepper strips with toasted or grilled rustic bread as a light first course, or use them in sandwiches or salads.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 2 medium red bell peppers, (about 7 ounces each)
- 1 clove garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, each quartered
- Crushed red pepper flakes, (optional)
- Place bell peppers directly over the flame of a gas-stove burner on high heat or on a grill. Roast peppers, turning with tongs, until blackened all over. (Alternatively, broil peppers on a baking sheet, turning, until skin has charred.)
- Transfer peppers to a large bowl, and cover immediately with plastic wrap. Set aside to steam, about 15 minutes. Peel peppers; discard skins. Remove stems, seeds, and ribs, and cut each pepper lengthwise into 8 strips. Transfer to a small non-reactive bowl.
- Toss peppers with garlic and 1 tablespoon oil; set aside to marinate, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Arrange peppers on a serving plate, and top with anchovy strips. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired, and drizzle with remaining teaspoon oil. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.