Malted-Milk Cremes Brulees
Creamy malted-chocolate custard is topped with crunch to encompass everything you love about the movie-theater favorite.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2010
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons malted-milk powder
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chocolate and malted-milk powder; stir until chocolate melts and powder dissolves. Whisk together yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Strain into a large measuring cup.
- Arrange four 6-ounce ramekins in a roasting pan. Divide custard evenly among ramekins, leaving 1/4 inch at the top.
- Place roasting pan in oven, and fill halfway with boiling water. Bake until custards are set, 60 to 70 minutes. Remove from oven and from water bath. Let cool. Refrigerate until cooled, about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sugar onto each custard. Hold a small handheld kitchen torch at a 90-degree angle 3 to 4 inches from surface of each custard, and move flame back and forth until sugar caramelizes and is deep golden brown, or broil until sugar caramelizes. Sprinkle each again with 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and recaramelize with torch or under the broiler.
- Baked custards can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Caramelize tops just before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.