Apple Custard Pie
Don't be intimidated by the kataifi. It's easy to find and comes in a big bunch that you simply need to pull apart before baking.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2010
Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
For the Crust
- 3 ounces frozen kataifi (shredded phyllo; <a href="http://amazon.com" target="_blank">amazon.com</a>) , thawed (1 cup packed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Caramelized Apples
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 baking apples, such as Pink Lady, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Caramel
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Custard
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Arrange a 1/2-inch-thick layer of kataifi into the bottom and up and over the sides of a 9-inch pie plate (it will shrink during baking); brush all over with melted butter. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramelized apples: Melt butter in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple wedges and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and caramelized, about 40 minutes. Transfer apples to a medium bowl.
- Make the caramel: Add sugar to skillet. Cook over high heat until sugar dissolves and turns medium amber. Remove skillet from heat. Slowly and carefully stir in cream (it will bubble and steam as you add it).
- Cover bottom of crust with 3/4 cup caramelized apples. Drizzle apples with 2 tablespoons caramel.
- Make the custard: Whisk to gether egg and yolk in a medium bowl. Bring milk, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add semolina flour, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to bubble, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, and slowly whisk one third of the semolina mixture into egg mixture. Return entire mixture to saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick, about 30 seconds.
- Pour custard over caramelized apples into crust. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Top with remaining caramelized apples just before serving. Drizzle top of pie with some caramel (reheat if needed). Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.