Chicken Lo Mein with Ginger Mushrooms
Mushrooms represent prosperity, while noodles are eaten for longevity in this traditional Chinese New Year dish from Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge" cookbook. For best results, be sure to preheat your wok, and never overcrowd the pan with too much food.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2011
- 12 ounces fresh Chinese thick, round egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thigh, cut into 1/4-inch-thick bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (about 5 ounces)
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded scallions
- Bring 8 cups water to a rolling boil in a 3-quart saucepan over high heat. Add noodles and return to a boil; cook, according to package directions, until al dente. Carefully drain noodles and rinse with cold water. Return noodles to unwashed saucepan and add sesame oil; toss until well combined. Set aside.
- Place chicken in a shallow bowl and add ginger, 1 teaspoon rice wine, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper; toss to combine. In a small bowl mix together remaining tablespoon rice wine and tablespoon soy sauce.
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over very high heat. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and red pepper flakes; using a metal spatula, stir-fry until pepper flakes are fragrant, about 10 seconds. Push the pepper flakes to the side and carefully place chicken mixture in an even layer in the wok. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then cook, stirring, until chicken begins to brown, about 30 seconds. Add cabbage and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until cabbage is wilted but chicken is not cooked through, about 1 minute. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon peanut oil to the wok. Add noodles and cook, stirring, 15 seconds. Re-stir soy sauce mixture and add to wok along with scallions and chicken mixture; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until chicken is cooked through and noodles are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.