Light hazelnut kisses complement the richness of Chocolate Pots de Creme.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2004
- 6 ounces hazelnuts (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toast hazelnuts in oven on a rimmed baking sheet until skins split and flesh turns deep golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- When nuts are cool enough to handle, rub off as much of the skin as will come off easily. Let cool completely.
- Process nuts in a food processor with 1/4 cup sugar until very fine.
- Beat egg whites with the salt in the bowl of an electric mixer (or by hand), until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until egg whites hold stiff (but not dry) peaks.
- Add nut mixture, flour, and vanilla to egg whites; beat until just combined. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. With cool, dampened hands, mold heaping tablespoons of dough into pyramid shapes, each about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches high. Transfer to lined sheet.
- Bake cookies until edges and bottoms begin to brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
You can store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to three days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.