- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (omit if making thumbprints, ball cookies, or spritz cookies)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
Cook's NoteDough can be refrigerated overnight or frozen for up to 1 month.
VariationsThumbprints and Ball Cookies
Shaped Icebox Cookies
Layered Icebox Cookies
Glazed Spritz Cookies