- 3 cups ketchup
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup light beer, such as a pale ale
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cola
- 2 teaspoons Blue Ribbon Hot Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/256295/blue-ribbon-hot-sauce), or other prepared hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 serrano chile, seeds removed, if desired, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed nonreactive saucepan and place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced to 4 cups, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve. Use immediately or let cool completely.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 months.