This is the flavor basis of our Perfect Pizza.
Martha Stewart Living, October 1997
Yield Makes enough for 2 pizzas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can whole Italian peeled plum tomatoes (2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pour olive oil into a large skillet, and place over medium heat. Using your hands, squeeze tomatoes to crush them. Add to the warm olive oil, along with the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon, until the sauce is thick, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Pass sauce through a food mill, discard the seeds, and let cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.