Spring Peas with Mint
For the best results, choose sugar snap peas with plump, smooth-looking pods and a bright green color; select English peas in crisp, brittle pods for shelling.
Photography: David E. Steele
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2008
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 8 ounces shelled fresh peas
- 1/4 cup sliced spring onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Add shelled peas to boiling water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately transfer to ice-water bath until cooled; drain. Set aside.
- Add sugar snap peas to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to ice-water bath until cooled. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add both peas and stir until heated through and well combined. Season with salt and pepper; stir in mint. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.