Caramelized Rice Puddings
If you don't have a kitchen torch, you can brown tops under the broiler, but the sugar may not melt completely.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2006
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Yield Makes 4
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cup granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup turbinado or other raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put milk, rice, and vanilla bean and seeds into a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard vanilla bean.
- Whisk cream, granulated sugar, salt, yolks, and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour into rice mixture, stirring constantly. Return to heat; bring to a simmer. Divide among four 6-ounce ramekins set in a roasting pan; add boiling water halfway up sides.
- Bake until almost set, 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tops with raw sugar, dividing evenly. Using a kitchen torch, caramelize sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.