This recipe for roasted beets can be used to make beet green pierogi. Both of these recipes are from "Inspired by Ingredients," by Bill Telepan.
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2007
- Yield Makes enough for 4 servings
- 1 bunch baby golden beets, trimmed
- 1 bunch baby Chioggia beets, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place golden beets on a baking sheet and Chioggia beets on another baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons water over each sheet of beets; season with salt and pepper. Cover each baking sheet with aluminum foil and roast beets until tender when pierced with a small knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool.
- Using a dry kitchen towel, rub beets to remove skin. Cut beets into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Heat butter in a large skillet over high heat. When butter begins to bubble, add half of the sliced beets in a single layer. Cook until beets begin to brown, about 2 minutes; add vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Gently stir to combine and turn beets using a spatula. Transfer to a warmed plate and repeat process with remaining beet slices.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.