Living Large Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Buy chocolate chunks for baking, or cut up your favorite chocolate bar.
Holiday Cookies 2001, Special Issue 2001
Yield Makes about 1 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chopped bittersweet chocolate
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, salt, and vanilla until fluffy. Add both sugars; beat until lightened in color, 4 minutes. Beat in egg.
- Add baking soda and flour; beat on low speed until just incorporated. Mix in chocolate. Transfer bowl to refrigerator; chill dough 1 hour or more.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line three baking sheets with parchment, and set aside.
- Roll 1/4 cup dough into a ball, and place on a baking sheet. Repeat, placing a total of four balls on each sheet. Chill 20 minutes.
- Transfer two baking sheets to oven, and bake 7 minutes. Rotate pans, and continue baking until just brown around edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks; cool 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks, and cool completely.
- Bake remaining cookies, and cool. Store all cookies in an airtight container up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.