Roasting the radicchio mellows its slightly bitter flavor; balsamic vinegar adds a touch of sweetness. You can use either of the popular varieties of radicchio -- round Verona or slender Treviso -- in this recipe, since they both yield delicious results. Serve the radicchio wedges alongside the pasta.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2004
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 medium heads radicchio, quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put radicchio wedges on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat, and turn each wedge so a cut side faces sheet. Roast, turning once, until leaves are wilted and slightly charred, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Just before serving, drizzle vinegar over each wedge, and garnish with cheese shavings.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.