Portobello Fries with Ponzu Sauce
This recipe comes courtesy of chef Edward Brown of Sea Grill in New York City.
Martha Stewart Living Television, January 2001
- 5 cups canola oil
- 8 portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
- 2 cups club soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Sea salt
- Ponzu Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/259914/ponzu-sauce)
- Heat oil to 325 degrees. Cut mushrooms crosswise into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Lightly dust them with 2 tablespoons flour; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, club soda, eggs, and coarse salt to form a batter.
- Dip portobello fries into batter. Blanch fries in hot oil. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Let cool. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Cook the blanched fries in hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Season with sea salt, and serve with ponzu sauce.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.