Endive Boats with Marinated Vegetables
Martha Stewart Living, February 1996
- 1 small fresh beet (about 3 ounces)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1/2 (about 8 ounces) bulb fennel, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds (5 large heads) Belgian endive
- 2 tablespoons salmon roe (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped chervil leaves
- Place beet and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a saucepan of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; boil until beet is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and peel beet; grate on large holes on a box grater, and place in a bowl. Grate carrot; add to beets.
- Cut fennel into very thin 1/2-inch-long slivers; add to beets and carrots.
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss with vegetables. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Trim endive, separating leaves. Reserve large leaves for another use. Fill lower half of small leaves with 1 1/2 teaspoons of vegetable mixture. Top with 1/8 teaspoon salmon roe, if using; garnish with chervil.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.