Martha Stewart Kids, Winter/Spring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for hands
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sanding or granulated sugar, for decorating
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Into a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. Combine butter and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl; beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide dough into 6 balls. Press balls on a floured work surface until about 4 or 5 inches in diameter, leaving edges raw to resemble rough cement. Transfer to a baking sheet. With lightly floured hands, let birthday girl gently and evenly press each hand into a piece of dough to make hand print indentations. Sprinkle indentations with sanding sugar. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Bake until edges of cookies are just turning golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.