Pecan Praline Tart
To toast pecans, spread them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake in an oven heated to 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1/2 recipe Flaky Pie Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/262497/flaky-pie-dough)
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disk of dough to a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Fit into a 12-by-4 1/2-inch rectangular cake ring set on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Trim edges flush with rim. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick bottom of crust all over with a fork. Freeze 15 minutes. Cut a 17-by-8-inch piece of parchment, and place on top of chilled crust. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until edges are golden and bottom is firm, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes with weights intact. Remove weights and parchment. Let cool completely.
- Heat sugar, cream, butter, and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, and cook without stirring until edges begin to turn deep golden, about 6 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pecans, vanilla, and salt. Pour filling evenly into cooled tart crust; do not spread it. Let stand at room temperature until cooled and firm, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Tart can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.) Unmold tart, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.