Almond Cream Filling
Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
Yield Makes enough for 6 napoleons
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Bring 2 cups half-and-half, the almond paste, sugar, salt, and cornstarch to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Whisk egg yolks, extract, and remaining 1/2 cup half-and-half in a medium bowl; add one-third of the hot half-and-half mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl set in ice-water bath. Stir in butter, several pieces at a time. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Put cream into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed just until stiff peaks form. Fold into custard.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.